Does the OWCP Cover Dehydration and/or Exhaustion at Work?

Yes, the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) covers dehydration and exhaustion if they are caused by your work. This includes if you are working in a hot environment, doing strenuous activity, or not getting enough fluids.

To file a claim for OWCP coverage, you must first report your injury to your supervisor. Your supervisor will then submit a Form CA-1 to OWCP. You will also need to submit a Form CA-2, which is a doctor’s report that describes your injury and how it was caused.

Once OWCP has received your claim, they will investigate it to determine if it is covered. If your claim is approved, OWCP will pay for your medical expenses and lost wages.

Here are some examples of when OWCP might cover dehydration and exhaustion:

  • You are a construction worker who is working in a hot environment and you become dehydrated and exhausted.
  • Mobile IV hydration therapy for exhausted workers
  • You are a firefighter who is working on a wildfire and you become dehydrated and exhausted.
  • You are a nurse or doctor who is working a long shift and you become dehydrated and exhausted.
  • You are a truck driver who is driving through a desert and you become dehydrated and exhausted.

If you are unsure whether or not your dehydration and exhaustion is covered by OWCP, you should contact OWCP directly. They can help you determine if you are eligible to file a claim.